Monday, August 11, 2008

Some people have asked about the birth and here is the quick synopsis for you. Don't fret if there isn't a blog tomorrow as life is a bit hectic around here these days....
I had a scheduled midwife appointment where everything was fine except for elevated blood pressure and some traces of protien in my urine. She sent me to the hospital for a nonstress test where babe passed with flying colors and my bp wouldn't go down even while sitting still for about an hour. They decided I needed to be admitted for some bed rest (or torture as I call it). The midwife visited me and decided that my bp and blood tests led her to want to induce me. They used mesoprostil and my water broke at about 2:15. My bp was crazy with contractions with it being about 180/115 at some point I think. She decided I needed an epidural to keep the pain down and consequently my bp. I gave in and then to make the epidural work you have to shift from left to right side. When on my left side, babe's heart rate dropped so I could only be on my right and the epidural only worked on my right side. I had back labor that was worsened by the fact of the epidural only working on one side (it makes the nerves go crazy per my midwife). Finally, babe let me go to the left and the epi worked. I ended up pushing for about 3 hours (I think) with babe being born at 9:48 am on 8-7-8.
I didn't even get to pull out my birth plan, but babe was safe. I got a diagnosis of pregnancy induced hypertension with some pre-eclampsic symptoms. I am currently on bed rest until Tuesday, but am calling it house arrest. I try to stay in a chair as much as possible, but it is so darn hard. So, there you go! I haven't been skyping or answering my phone very much due to the babe and house arrest, so I will try to get back to you!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lia,

Wonderful short version of your labor! Good luck with your remaining 36 hours of house arrest.

Mom

Knit and Fit said...

Congratulations! You are so tough!

Anonymous said...

Hang tight and remember to be a model prisoner...P&J

Anonymous said...

He is beautiful! Congrats to you and John. How are the girls adjusting?

I want to call you but don't want to bother you either - maybe I will leave a message and you can call me back when the time is right.

Rest up,
Susan :)

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you have a strong body and constitution - sounds like a pretty tough time - but I am sure the reward was worth it. Hugs, tga

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a beautiful baby. Wish I could hold him...Take care. Maxine

Allison said...

he is so cute!! sorry you had to go through all that intervention with the delivery. glad you're all okay now.

Blog Archive